Who Do I Contact For Help?
DCCPTA Presidents & Treasurers Training Scheduled
All incoming DCCPTA unit presidents & treasurers are required to attend Treasurer training each year. Training sessions are offered in the summer, fall, and spring. Check our calendar for dates.
PTA Treasurer Q & A
Can PTAs donate money to individuals or groups? Review This Document For more information and examples.
Returning Membership Cards
You do NOT need to mail back any unused cards. Unused cards should be destroyed at the end of the school year. Email email@example.com and tell them how many you sold and have paid for, and how many cards you are destroying. Also, Florida PTA doesn’t pay you back for membership cards, even if you accidentally pay the wrong amount, so be careful when sending payments to them.
Accepting Credit/Debit Cards for Payment
If your board approves the use of credit or debit cards for payment (such as membership, donations or fundraising items) consider these items when establishing your unit’s policy:
• Research & understand the risk and potential liability verses benefits (compliance with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards)
• Keep enough documentation, for example, signatures of cardholders, for each transaction to ensure that disputed charges do not become a problem.
• Store any physical documents containing credit card data in a locked drawer, locked file cabinet, or locked office which the PTA solely controls (shred when no longer needed)
• Do not transmit cardholder’s credit card data by email, mail or fax
• Do not store credit card data, PIN or CVV2/CVC2/CID numbers for customers on paper nor electronically in an unsecured area
• Ensure that any person taking the credit card information and/or processing the transaction is properly trained in best practices
• When a refund is necessary, the refund must be credited only to the same account from which the purchase/donation was made
This information and more is in the Florida PTA Kit of Materials. To get the kit YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR OFFICERS EACH YEAR TO RECEIVE THE KIT OF MATERIALS AND MEMBERSHIP CARDS.
Important Local PTA Unit Treasurer Information
The security and accountability of PTA funds is the responsibility of the Treasurer. Be sure your Local Unit is following these basic guidelines:
- You need 2 signatures on ALL checks.
- Usually there are 3 PTA Board Members who may sign the checks – Treasurer, President, and a VP or other officer.
- Write checks for a specific purpose. The expense must be within your approved budget.
- Reimbursement Form – it should be filled out by the person needing reimbursement. All receipts should be attached to this form. If the person has lost his receipt(s) – he needs to write a letter stating that the receipt(s) was lost. The two check-signers sign their approval of the reimbursement on this form.
- Never pre-sign a check – sign checks at the time they are needed and after they have been approved.
- Never write a check for cash. All transactions must be by check so there is a paper trail that can be audited.
- The person being reimbursed should not be a signer on that check.
- The retiring treasurer should file the appropriate 990 form with the IRS as soon as the audit has been completed.
PTA as an Outside Group
The Duval County School Board considers each Local Unit of PTA an “Outside Group” that is organized to provide support for school activities. All outside groups are required by the School Board to submit the following financial reports to your school Bookkeeper:
- PTA/PTSA Monthly Treasurer’s Report – including all Revenue information and Disbursement Transactions for each month – signed by the Treasurer. This Report is intended to be a reconciliation of your books.
- PTA/PTSA Annual Audit Report – signed by the Audit Committee.
- Request for Fund Raising Activity – completed and submitted to the bookkeeper to obtain prior written authorization from the Principal before beginning any fund-raising activity.
Annual PTA Unit Audit Form
This reporting is required to maintain each local unit’s 501 (c) (3) status. A signed copy must be submitted to the school bookkeeper with a copy of the June bank statement. A copy of the audit must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by September 30. See the link in the paragraph above for the annual audit form.
Required IRS Tax Filing
Don’t wait until the November 15 deadline, filing takes less than 15 minutes. EVERY UNIT, EVERY YEAR IS REQUIRED TO FILE A TAX RETURN.
- Are your gross receipts less than $50,000? If so, file a 990-N (takes only 10-15 minutes to complete!). For complete instructions and steps for local PTA units using the Form 990-N Electronic Filing System (e-Postcard) go to Procedures for Florida PTA Compliance New Procedure 2016 . Click Here for more IRS information needed to file e-postcard. Click Here to link to the IRS 990-N Electronic Form. Once you have filed and your status shows “Accepted,”(this takes approximately 7-10 minutes) click on the submission ID for your filing. That will bring up a Confirmation page that you need to print out for your records. You then need to write your PTA’s full name and Duval County on the page. This confirmation page is what you scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than November 15th.
- Are your gross receipts $50,000 to $200,000? If so, file Form 990EZ and Schedule A and G. Forward a copy of the form and schedules to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than November 15th
- Are your gross receipts over $200,000? If so, file Form 990. Forward a copy of the form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than November 15th
- DCCPTA Local Unit Dues and Donation Form
- Sample Donation Receipts from National PTA
- State and National Dues Form
- Treasurers Top Ten Tasks
- End of Year Treasurer Checklist
- Florida Sales Tax Exemption, Scroll down to 3rd page; you will need a current set of bylaws.
- Sample Proposed Budget
- Budget Report Worksheet By DCPS, PDF, Microsoft Excel computer calculated form
- Sample Budget to Actual Report Worksheet By DCCPTA, Microsoft Excel computer calculated form
- Check Request Form
- Check Request Form Fallible this form allows you to type in information Check Request Editable Blank
- Deposit Count Form
- FUND·RAISING ACTIVITY REQUEST PDF 042216 By D. C. P. S., PDF, Manual Fill, Use this form for principal approval of any fundraising activities throughout the year.
- Monthly Treasurers Report Instructions
- LocalUnitMonthlyReport By DCC PTA, Microsoft Excel computer calculated form
- MONTHLY REPORT PDF 042216 By D. C. P. S., PDF, Manual Fill
- ANNUAL AUDIT REPORT PDF By D. C. P. S., PDF, Manual Fill
National PTA’s Back-to-School Kit