In the context of PTA, advocacy is supporting and speaking up for children — in schools, in communities, and before government bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
Duval County Council of PTAs offers Grassroots Advocacy Training. This training is designed for those who are interested becoming effective advocates for education or for those interested in teaching the next generation of PTA leaders the skills to be effective issue advocates.
In the PTA Grassroots Advocacy Training we use 3 methods:
- A presentation consisting of lecture and discussion elements
- Role Playing
- Written exercises with presentation
The training includes six modules:
- Strategy: Goals vs Tactics
- Coalition Building
- Recruitment and Organizational Building *
- Media as a Tactic
- Meeting with Decision-makers
- Common Core State Standards: Overview
COST: FREE TO PTA MEMBERS
Check our calendar for the next training date.
Helpful Advocacy Training Links;
A Parent’s Role in ESSA Implementation Jul 27, 2016