The following is an email response from Superintendent Nikolai Vitti referring to the DCCPTA Board Meeting held 4/6/17.
Dr. Vitti’s comments.
I understand that you had several questions at your board meeting this morning and I wanted to provide you with the information requested. As you know, the legislative information is time-sensitive, as some of these bills move through the process rather quickly. Thank you for your continued advocacy.
- Capital Outlay Funding (HB5103 and SB376) – OPPOSE
o Below is the slide requested at the meeting that explains the manner in which the funding can be allocated. Right now one of the bills requires local governments to keep the funding at 1.5 mills
- School Improvement (HB5105) – OPPOSE
o For all schools on their first D or F: 1 planning year, and if a school is lower than a C the following year, 3 options
- Closure and transfer students to another school in the district
- Close and reopen as a charter
- Close and reopen under a management company
o Very little opportunity for community input regarding options
o Allocates $200 Million for Charter “Schools of Hope”
The Powerpoint presentation from the board meeting is attached, that includes additional information.
- Education (SB926) – SUPPORT
o Reduces testing by allowing districts to substitute nationally recognized exams such as AP, IB, AICE, and Industry Certification exams in lieu of FSAs and state end of course exams
o Requires the DOE to have a paper/pencil alternative for all state assessments
Please feel free to call Dr. Kriznar at 390-2115 if you have additional questions regarding legislation.
I also understand that you asked where Detroit was in the superintendent search process. As you may already know, I was selected as a finalist for the position, and last week I traveled to Detroit for my interview. As a follow up, their board search team visited Jacksonville last week to visit schools and speak with community and district stakeholders regarding my leadership. Next week they will be traveling to visit the district of the other finalist. Their board has not provided a definitive date for the final selection at this time, but I would anticipate that a decision would be made this month.
Regardless of the outcome, there is still much work to be done here. We are in the process of preparing a draft budget and have started the closing of school timeline. I remain committed to the work in this district, and I am keeping my leadership team focused on support for our students and our schools. I have worked hard over the past years to put in place a strong leadership team and I have every confidence in their ability to implement the systems already in place to move the district forward.
Once again, thank you for your support and commitment to public education. If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to forward them.
Superintendent Nikolai Vitti
April 10, 2017