Take Action Now!
The power of the PTA lies within our members and we need your help!
For the next 9 days the Florida Legislature will be making key decisions regarding education funding, testing and accountability, local control of local schools, and recess. Many of these decisions affecting our children and our schools will be made in conference committee meetings held behind closed doors.
NOW is the time to let our legislators know where we stand, before the doors shut and policy is made out of the public eye.
Please email or call your Legislator TODAY and urge them to:
- Fund K-12 education at the Senate’s level – a record $7414.26 per pupil. Our children need and deserve more than the House’s token $19.16 increase over last year.
- Pay for charter school construction and repairs using state, not local, capital dollars. Districts are required to use dollars based on need, meaning the money goes to the neediest schools. Charters will receive the money whether they need it or not leaving less money for our broken-down public schools.
- Respect local control of turnaround schools and charter school authorization. Allow school districts to participate in the allocation for “Schools of Hope”. We elect School Board members for a reason.
- Support the real “fewer, better tests” bill – SB 926. We need actual, not token, school accountability reform.
- Eliminate additional tests that are used for the sole purpose of evaluating teachers. Give districts the flexibility to create common sense teacher evaluations.
- Pass the real recess bill-SB 78. Give K-5 students a much needed break in their day.
Click the link below to log in and send your message:
You have received this message because you have subscribed to a mailing list of Florida PTA. If you do not wish to receive periodic emails from this source, please click below to unsubscribe.