The Florida PTA Nominating Committee is now accepting nominations from those interested in serving as a 2016-2018 Florida PTA elected officer, Standing Committee Chair, or Region Representative. Eligibility and responsibility requirements of officers can be found here and responsibilities of Region Representatives and Standing Committee Chairs can be found here. All officers are required to sign a Code of Ethics annually.
Nominations will remain open and accepted through Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 5:00 PM Eastern time.
The Florida PTA is seeking candidates to stand for election in July 2016 for the following leadership positions:
Vice President for Leadership Development
Vice President for Regions and Councils
Vice President for Membership Development
Vice President for Educational Development
**Please note that nominations are NOT in order for the “President” position as the current President-Elect automatically becomes President.
Per Florida PTA State Bylaws Rev-7-2015 Page 9 of 19 Article VIII: Officers, Section 4. The following provisions shall govern the qualifications and eligibility of individuals to be officers of the Florida PTA:
- Each officer shall be a member of a local PTA chartered by the Florida PTA.
- No person shall hold more than one state office at any time and no officer may be eligible for two consecutive terms in the same office.
- A person who has served in an office for more than one half of a full term shall be deemed to have served a full term in such office.
- No officer shall be eligible for any other office except that of President-Elect, Vice President for Leadership Development, or Vice President for Regions and Councils until the expiration of one organizational year.
- No person is eligible for office who has not served at least one term as Region Representative, Council President or Standing Committee Chair on the Board of Directors of the Florida PTA by the time of election.
In addition to seeking candidates to stand for election, the Nominating Committee also makes recommendations for Region Representatives and chairs of each Standing Committee, which will be given to the Special Electing Group (comprised of newly elected officers and the Parliamentarian) to consider after the elections are held in July so they can form the official Florida PTA Board of Directors and committee members for 2016-2018.
To be considered as a candidate for an elected (officer) position, chair of a Standing Committee, or a Region Representative, e-mail the completed required materials listed below as attachments to email@example.com indicating “Nomination” in the subject line. The e-mailed materials must be time-stamped on or before Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 before 5:00 PM Eastern time.
Candidate’s checklist of required materials: (All Attached)
- One-page cover letter sharing your reasons for wishing to be considered for the position(s) you have indicated, as well as the skills and expertise you would bring to the position(s). Cover letter must be on one side of an 8.5″ X 11″ single sheet of paper, in no smaller than 11 point type, single spaced.
- Completed Letter of Intent Form
- Completed Professional/Personal Reference Form
- Completed Signature of Agreement/Submission Form
- Resume/Bio Form
To nominate someone else for an elected (officer) position, chair of a Standing Committee, or a Region Representative, you must have that person’s consent. Nominations can be made by local units, county councils, and individual members of the state Board of Directors. To make a nomination:
- Review the qualifications and requirements for the position.
- Obtain the person’s consent.
- Compose a recommendation letter including the candidate’s qualifications, and your e-mail and phone number.
E-mail the recommendation letter as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Nomination” in the subject line. The e-mailed materials must be time-stamped on or before Tuesday, March 15, 2016 before 5:00 PM Eastern time.
Running from the floor?
- A minimum of 30 days notice will be given from the date of convention.
- Deadline is June 14, 2016 at 5 PM.
- Written notification will be sent to the President (email@example.com), Nominating Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org), and the Secretary (email@example.com). If by mail, send to Florida PTA, 1747 Orlando Central Pkwy., Orlando, FL 32809. Such a nomination must have the signature of at least five Florida PTA unit members.
- Bio must be sent with written notification to the Nominating Committee Chair for presentation at Convention.
Until such time that a nomination is made from the floor, NO campaign material of any type can be distributed at any time prior to the close of the business meeting at which the nomination has been made from the floor. Campaign material shall be limited to a one page 8.5″ X 11″ sheet.
Election of Officers Timeline:
||Nominating Committee meets to review and nominate the slate of officers for the July elections and makes recommendations for the chair of each Standing Committee
||Slate of officers from the Nominating Committee announced
||Deadline for any candidate wishing to run from the convention floor
||Election of officers held
||Newly elected officers take office (at the close of Leadership Convention)
||Selection of Standing Committee Chair confirmed by Special Electing Group (comprised of newly elected officers and the Parliamentarian)